It’s the most wonderful time of the year…if you’re a photography fan. Yes, August 19th is fast approaching and everyone at the Photolab is already on pins and needles. If you’ve never heard of World Photography Day, you can get all the relevant details from last year’s blog posts (parts one and two). If you have heard of it but haven’t visited the official website since last year, it’s recently undergone a total responsive redesign and looks more beautiful than ever, and the galleries have tons of new, incredible, breathtaking photos—all uploaded by site members, as you may remember.
Speaking of which, if you didn’t upload in a previous year—heck, even if you did—this is your opportunity to display one of your best photos proudly among those from some of the world’s most talented and passionate photographers. Simply register on the site or log in with your Facebook account and go from there; don’t be shy, and above all, don’t delay—as the gallery is only open for upload from Aug 19-25. Just to give you an idea of what they’re looking for, I’ve reprinted their Tips for Submission here:
- You can only upload 1 (one) photograph to the gallery
- Choose carefully as your entry cannot be changed after submission
- Your photo must be a minimum of 1800 x 1800 pixels (3.2 megapixels)
- Your high resolution image isn’t made publically accessable
- Share your story – Your photograph is more powerful with a story
- Fill in your profile – People want to relate with more than a picture
- No Watermarks – If you have a watermark on your image you will not be considered for our photobook
- We encourage you to capture your image between Aug 19-25 but will accept a photograph captured earlier in the year
Naturally, the Photolab also has some celebrations of its own in honour of this very special day. Select locations throughout BC and Alberta will be offering a series of free workshops devoted to tips, themes and new products that are sure to help photographers of all skill and experience levels improve their craft. Check here for locations and workshop details. In addition, to help give your best photos life beyond an online gallery, the Photolab is also offering 25% off all canvas gallery wrap orders—on August 19 only, just to make your WPD even more special. See your local Photolab for more details.